LOTS & LOTS OF FUN!!!!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED AUG 4, 10AM CALL DAWN 747-3581
Donate ALL CLOTHES/LINENS/BOOKS
DIRECTLY To ISLAND CLOSET On MONDAY, AUG 1 & WED, AUG 3
Watch For LAKESIDE TENT Then Bring & Donate ALL YOUR LARGE ITEMS Such As BIKES/FURNITURE/LARGE HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
Donate HOMEMADE BAKE GOODS/JAMS/PICKLES/MAPLE SYRUP/HONEY TO GRANDMA’S KITCHEN at St. John’s 8-9:30 BAZAAR DAY
Watch For CHURCHSIDE TENT Then Bring & Donate ALL YOUR HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
GRILL AND ICE CREAM PARLOR Open BAZAAR DAY
SILENT AUCTION IN BASEMENT UNTIL 2PM THURS
EXPECT TENTS TO APPEAR THE WEEKEND BEFORE BAZAAR
Please join members of the extended Madeline Island community as we continue to use Zoom to meet, discuss, and learn about ways to promote racial justice.
7:00-8:00 p.m. (Central time)
First Wednesday of the month
Zoom Meeting ID: 867 4134 0213
Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86741340213
This is a community-sponsored activity and all are welcome! For more information or to be added to the email distribution list, contact Robin Roderick at firstname.lastname@example.org
This group was started in the wake of George Floyd’s death and the protests which followed. Many of us have and do feel a need to be part of a culture of change, and believe that such change can take many forms. We have chosen to further and deepen our own knowledge of the history, culture and practice of racism and efforts to dismantle racism in this country.
Upcoming Calendar of Topics
May and June – Treuer, Anton “ The Cultural Toolbox: Traditional Ojibwe Living in the Modern World”
July – Grann, David, “Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI”
August and September – TBD
October – LaDuke, Winona “To Be a Water Protector: The Rise of the Wiindigoo Slayers” The MI Bookclub is also reading this in October and we hope to do a joint meeting.
November – Erdrich, Louise “ The Sentence”
December – TBD
Some of the books, articles, podcasts and films we have discussed in the past:
November 2020 (Wednesday, November 4th)
- Mark Charles – Ted Talk –The truth behind ‘We the People’ – the three most misunderstood words in US history. https://www.ted.com/talks/mark_charles_the_truth_behind_we_the_people_the_three_most_misunderstood_words_in_us_history
- Wisconsin PBS – Tribal Histories-https://www.pbs.org/show/tribal-histories/ Complete episode list on Wisconsin PBS (There are more episodes than what I saw listed on the main PBS site) https://pbswisconsin.org/watch/tribal-histories/
- Tommy Orange – There There Book
December 2020 (Wednesday, December 2nd)
- Podcast – ‘How Are Contemporary Native Americans Thriving?’ with Dr. Elizabeth Rule from Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness on Apple Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-are-contemporary-native-americans-thriving-dr-elizabeth/id1068563276?i=1000494674841
- Podcast — Everything You Learned About Thanksgiving Is Wrong https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/us/thanksgiving-myths-fact-check.html?referringSource=articleShare
- Podcast — Serial and The New York Times: “Nice White Parents” https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/podcasts/nice-white-parents-serial.html
January 2021 (Wednesday, January 6th)
- James Baldwin – I Am Not Your Negro Available for streaming on Amazon Prime and Netflix
- James Baldwin – The Fire Next Time Book.
February 2021 (Wednesday, February 3rd)
- Ava DuVernay – Thirteenth Available for streaming from Netflix
- Michelle Alexander – The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness Book
- Louise Erdrich, The Round House